Friday, December 29, 2006

When I Became a Runner...

I went running today at lunch. You might be jealous that I have a job that allows me to run at lunch and even more jealous that is was 75 degrees, but that's besides the point. Today's run did not feel good and that got me to thinking.

I used to be a cyclist. Just a cyclist. That was before kids. I don't have the time for 3 hour rides like I used to. I only started running to finish the third element of the triathlon. I hated running. I've always had flat feet, and had a bad running experience in 8th grade. Ever since then, I've said I could never run.

Well, I've continued to run over the last year because of the sheer efficiency of it. I can get a great workout in a short amount of time. I'm not good at it, and I never considered myself a runner. I started wondering, when do I call myself a runner? Is it when I run 3 times/week or more than 5 miles or is it when I run 8 minute miles? Today, I realized that those things do not make a runner. There are no written requirements. Today, I realized I am a runner. I am a runner because I want to run. Because I look forward to my runs. Because my heart speeds up at the thought of running later. I'm excited about it. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it hurt any less, but I'm still a runner. I'm also still a cyclist, and a triathlete, too. I'm a lot of things, but today's the day I'll remember as the day I realized I'm a runner.

No comments: